Life can be a roller coaster. Just ask Steve’s guest, Deidre Von Rock, an attorney who dared to leave a 16-year partnership at a conventional law firm to strike out on her own.
Steve delves into Deidre’s audacious transformation in part one of this two-part episode of Great Practice, Great Life. A product of a humble small town, Deidre takes us on her educational journey, from her undergraduate years in San Diego to her law school experience in Boston at New England Law, a trailblazing institution known for supporting women in the legal field. She shares the thrill of having her legal opinion published unchanged by a renowned federal judge, an accomplishment that ignited her confidence and affirmed her unique voice.
Deidre then brings us back to her home state of California, where she navigated her way from being a law clerk to an associate, eventually becoming a partner in a conventional law firm. However, the rigidity and dissatisfaction of the corporate legal world led her to contemplate a radical change. After years of introspection and strategizing, she made the brave leap to start her own practice.
We learn about Deidre Von Rock’s thoughtful approach to choosing her niche, moving away from the combative nature of litigation towards a more balanced, transactional practice. She opens up about her innovative marketing approach, focusing on referral marketing and networking to build a robust, trusted community of advisors and clients.
Her story was not without its challenges. Deidre shares her personal struggles, including a breast cancer diagnosis and the end of a toxic marriage. Despite these obstacles, she remained undeterred, demonstrating an admirable resilience integral to her success.
Throughout the episode, Deidre emphasizes the importance of developing a personal brand that truly represents who you are. She offers wisdom for those looking to carve out their own path in the legal sector.
Tune in to this episode for an inspiring story of courage, determination, and authenticity in the face of adversity.
In this episode, you will hear:
- Deidre Von Rock’s journey from a conventional law firm partner to the creation of her own practice and personal brand
- The decision-making process behind her career change, choosing her niche, and designing her marketing strategy
- The culture of billable hours and the struggle to achieve work-life balance as a working mom in a male-dominated industry
- The importance of having a clear niche and choosing practice areas that align with personal values and goals
- The courage and fear involved in making a major life change and designing a practice and life that brings joy and fulfillment
- Deidre’s personal branding journey, networking, and perseverance in the face of setbacks
- Her experience dealing with personal challenges like breast cancer treatment and divorce while building her practice
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+‘ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.